Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Client: BMO Centre Halifax Arena Complex
Architect: PBK Architects
Certifications: LEED Canada-NC Candidate
Size: 160,000 sq. ft.
Project Budget: $39.6M
This state-of-art facility consists of 4 NHL sized ice pads, dressing rooms (team rooms, main viewing corridor, office/reception areas, concession and sports retail; multi-purpose room, boardroom, and washrooms as well as 4 beach volleyball courts.
M&R Engineering was responsible for mechanical design including HVAC and Plumbing as well as electrical design including Lighting, Power, Communications and Security.
- Heating system utilizes 95°F/35°C waste heat from the ice plant providing all of the building's heating except for the coldest days.
- Service hot water for ice making and domestic hot water are preheated by waste heat from the ice plant.
- Gas fired boilers provide supplemental space, service water and domestic water heating.
- Heat recovery ventilators provide fresh air to the dressing rooms and air handling units.
- Embedded bleacher radiant heating provides a more comfortable environment and saves energy compared to conventional heating systems.
- Variable Speed drives are installed on circulation pumps to save electricity and provide greater control.
- Occupancy sensors are installed to reduce lighting power when rooms are unoccupied.