Location: Bedford, Nova Scotia
Architect: Nycum & Associates
Certifications: LEED Canada-NC Certified
Size: 148,000 sq. ft.
Project Budget: N/A
This 144 bed senior care centre project includes resident rooms, activity spaces, administration, full service kitchen and conference spaces.
M&R Engineering was responsible for mechanical design including HVAC, Plumbing and Fire Protection as well as electrical design including Lighting, Power, Communications and Security, Energy Modelling, Mechanical and Electrical related LEED credit documentation and commissioning.
- Energy efficiency building envelope including R-30 ICF walls and R-32 roof.
- Energy efficiency lighting design with 0.8 W/sq. ft. lighting power density (33% savings against energy code)
- Heating system includes high efficiency cast-iron oil-fired boilers designed to allow for conversion to Natural Gas.
- Radiant floor heating throughout the facility.
- Ventilation for residential areas is provided by 100% outdoor air units with energy recovery from exhaust air exceeding CSA Z317 outdoor air requirements by 100%.
- Variable Air Volume (VAV) air handling systems with energy recovery serve the administration and activity areas.
- Variable Speed drives are installed on circulation pumps and fans to save electricity and provide greater control.
- Heat is reclaimed from kitchen coolers to preheat domestic hot water.
- Emergency Generator with acoustic enclosure.
- On-site rooftop greenhouse with automated temperature controls.
- Smoke management system design and commissioning.
- Energy modelling indicated 41% energy cost savings against the energy code (MNECB)